|Discover the Paternal Roots of Your Family Tree|
Find your roots on your father’s side over 500 years ago! The PatriClan Test traces paternal ancestry by analyzing the Y-chromosome men inherit exclusively from their fathers. We use nine markers including the YAP.
Since only men carry a Y-chromosome, women CANNOT take the PatriClan Test. But luckily, women may trace their paternal lineage by having a male relative with their father’s last name take the test for them.
We find African ancestry for approximately 65% of the paternal lineages we test. The remaining 35% of the lineages we test typically indicate European ancestry. If our tests indicate that you are not of African descent, we will identify your continent of origin.
And remember, your results are the same for everyone who carries that lineage! PatriClan results are the same for the following family members of the test-taker: children, son’s children, siblings, brother’s children, father, father’s siblings, uncle’s children and father’s father.
Visit Understanding Your Lineages to further understand who shares your lineage and who should take the test in order to trace a specific lineage.
The PatriClan Test does not provide any information about your mother's side of the family. To discover your maternal ancestry, click here.
If your family tree includes African and Native American and/or European ancestry, African Ancestry can help you identify the appropriate lineage to test. Call us at 202-723-0900 for further assistance.