The African Ancestry Black History Month Sweepstakes Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: The African Ancestry Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only as of February 1st, 2010 who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of African Ancestry, Inc., and their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor and Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. Sponsor and Administrator: African Ancestry, Inc. 5505 Connecticut Avenue NW, #297 Washington, DC 20015
3. Timing: Registration for each Sweepstakes:
Blog Sweepstakes 1: Begins February 1st, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) or the time the Sweepstakes is posted on the African Ancestry blog and ends on February 7th, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Registration Period”)
Blog Sweepstakes 2: Begins February 8th, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. ET or the time the Sweepstakes is posted on the African Ancestry blog and ends on February 14th, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. ET
Blog Sweepstakes 3: Begins February 15th, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. ET or the time the Sweepstakes is posted on the African Ancestry blog and ends on February 21st, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. ET
Blog Sweepstakes 4: Begins February 8th, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. ET or the time the Sweepstakes is posted on the African Ancestry blog and ends on February 14th, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. ET
Mailing List Sweepstakes 1: Begins February 1st, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. ET or the time the Sweepstakes is posted on the African Ancestry blog and ends on February 28th, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. ET
Entrants may earn Sweepstakes entries via Record of Charges and mail-ins as set forth in Section 4 below, beginning on November 1, 2006 at 12:00 a.m. ET and ending on January 31, 2007 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Promotion Period”). Administrator’s computer is the official time keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
4. How to Enter:
Blog Sweepstakes: During the Registration Period, visit http://blog.africanancestry.com, look for the active Blog Sweepstakes and answer the proposed question in the comments section. To add a comment, enter your name, email address and post in the fields provided. Only one (1) entry per Blog Sweepstakes.
Mailing List Sweepstakes: During the Registration Period, visit http://www.africanancestry.com/mailinglist.html and enter your name and email address. Only one (1) entry per Mailing List Sweepstakes.
Blog Sweepstakes: African Ancestry Inc. will select the winner of each blog contest from all eligible comments received during the Promotion Period, on or around 5 days proceeding the registration end date.
Mailing List Sweepstakes: African Ancestry, Inc. will randomly select the Sweepstake winner from all eligible entries received during the Promotion Period, on or around March 5th, 2010.
The winners will be notified by email within five (5) days after the completion of the blog and mail list sweepstakes registration end date. Each potential winner will be required to sign and return to Sponsor, within ten (10) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release in order to claim his/her prize.
If a potential winner cannot be contacted, or fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release within the required time period, potential winner forfeits prize. Potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. In the event that a winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by selecting from among all remaining eligible entries. Sweepstakes prizes will be fulfilled 2-4 weeks after the verification of winners.
6. Prizes: FIVE (5) PRIZES: African Ancestry MatriClan or PatriClan Test Kit (Winner can choose which kit) ARV: $349 Limit: One (1) Sweepstakes prize per person.
7. Release: By receipt of any prize, winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Administrator, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
8. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Sweepstakes constitutes winner’s consent to Sponsor’s and its agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
9. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Sweepstakes, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other Promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
10. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Sweepstakes; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Sweepstakes, provided that if it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance of the Sweepstakes, or any part of it, for any reason, Sponsor, at its discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein.
11. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Columbia or the appropriate District of Columbia Court located in Washington, DC U.S.A.; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of District of Columbia, U.S.A. without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of District of Columbia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of District of Columbia.
13. Sweepstakes Results: For a list of major prize winners and/or a copy of these Official Rules, send a hand-printed, self-addressed, stamped envelope to African Ancestry, Inc. c/o Black History Month Promotion 5505 Connecticut Avenue NW, #297 Washington, DC 20015. Winner list requests must be received by March 31st, 2010.
14. Name Removal Notification System: If you would like your name removed from Sponsor’s mailing list call 202-732-0900.